CURRENT MOON

Monday, July 17, 2006

Hygeia


So I'm not sure how much I've blogged about it, but my Circle has recently gone through some changes. and one of the outcomes is that we are focusing on the Goddess Hygeia. Now, that may not sound so weird, coming from an electic group of witches, which is what we are. But it turns out -- who knew? -- that Hygeia is one of the, shall we say, lesser-known Goddesses. I really need to blog a lot less this week and, instead, spend more time Googling Hygeia. (Is that funny? Maybe you have to be as old as I am to understand that it's funny that "google" has come to replace "research" -- I wrote my master's thesis before Google even existed -- that's how old I am).

So, this morning, I was delighted to learn that Klimt himself had painted Hygeia.

What do you know about her? Have you ever heard of her? Do you have any links to information on her? Would you be willing or sad to spend time worshipping Hygeia? Does our culture have any other archetypes for the feminine manifestation of health? If so, what are they? What does health mean to you?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love Klimt's work, but I especially love Hygeia - so much so that I have a stamp of this part of his work and use it whenever I can. It's wonderful to see it here.

Moonbootica said...

maybe this will be of some help? from wiki - Hygeina

In Greek mythology, Hygieia (Roman equivalent: Salus) was a daughter of Asclepius. She was the goddess of health, cleanliness and sanitation (and later: the moon), and played an important part in her father's cult (see also: asklepieion). While her father was more directly associated with healing, she was associated with the prevention of sickness and the continuation of good health.

Though Hygieia had been the subject of a local cult since at least the 7th century BC, she did not begin to spread out until the Oracle at Delphi recognized her, and after the devastating Athens plague in 429 and 427 BC and in Rome in 293 BC. Her primary temples were in Epidaurus, Corinth, Cos and Pergamon.

Anonymous said...

The Gauls/Britons had a goddess who was tied to Hygeia though iconography: Sirona (Tsirona, Thirona), whose name means "star", was sometimes depicted with the snake and a bowl of eggs, and associated with healing springs. She was sometimes paired with "Apollo" Grannus, another Gaulish god, who was also tied to healing and maybe the sun (etymology of "Grannus" is still unsettled).

echidne said...

The painting looks like me. ;)

Anonymous said...

In the glory days of the Roman empire, as the Romans conquered a country, they also conquered their
Gods, the more the merrier. It was
only when they came to Israel that
not only did the locals not want them to worship their God, they also insisted that their God was the only true one. Naturaly this
blasphemy was promptly punished, Rome not only tore down the temples
but also expelled the blasphemers.
As to be expected, when Rome finaly accepted this blasphemy as
gospel, the Gods struck back and
promptly destroyed the Roman empire. Long live Hygeia, I will
drink to Bachus.

SoWeirdBoy said...

I can't believe I am just now summing across your page. Hygeia is beautiful. I hadn't heard of her since today, but in a way, maybe I feel called now. I am now going to be an avid reader of your blog. thank you for your spirituality and blunt honesty even though most in the world distaste. I'm dealing with this even in my own relationship. It's hard being an EX-Jehovah's witness (still holding that faith very close) and a venturing Spiritualist. Whether its Quan Yin's beautiful wisdom, or the power of Ganesh. I can't make my boyfriend understand me. I also don't want to believe that we weren't meant to be. Maybe I try too hard.