CURRENT MOON

Sunday, November 12, 2006

Ah, Freud's Old Question


Here's a post that is worth reading all the way through:

[T]here is a feminist theologian and Catholic nun (Sr. Elizabeth Johnson) who has written in her book She Who Is that to insist upon only one image for God; to insist that God can only be imaged exclusively in male terms, is paramount to idolatry; it is comparable to creating a "graven image," an idol. That's when a few of the boys lost it. Towards the end of class one of them asked, “What is it that you (meaning, you feminists) want?” I began by saying that the feminist critique of religion and feminist theology were important to me because I am convinced that, “our theology shapes our humanity.” I am convinced that the ways in which we image God directly affect and influence our images of each other. What God becomes, becomes God. To quote Mary Daly, “God is man writ large, man is God writ small.” And as long as only men get to reflect the divine; as long as men are the symbolic representation of God; as long as men are the only human beings who are considered worthy enough to mediate between the divine and the human, then the feminine and women will be rendered inferior. Regarding his question as it related to the issue of women's lives I responded this way, “I would like it if a woman were not sexually assaulted every few minutes in this country. I would like it if a woman were not beaten every few seconds in this country. I would like it if the trafficking in women’s and girls’ bodies was not the third largest illegal trade in the world. If globally, women could be educated, could own property, inherit, sign contracts, witness in courts of law, vote, etc, etc. “

I received an email later from a young woman in the class who said that on the way out of class someone said to her that if she didn't "think of God as a man," she was going to hell. Just one more reason for going to hell. I am starting to count how many things I violate that condemn me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It will only start when we are visible, and vocal. Nancy Pelosi's ascension is HUGE in this regard. She can be up there with Indira Ghandi and Margaret Thatcher (politics not included). The biggest thing ever to have happened in our little corner of the world's population. I'm positively imaging her as the first woman who becomes president. The best by far.

And yes, God being solely male is a perversion of hideous proportions.

Anonymous said...

I dunno, I keep coming back to Carlin's theory that God has to be male because no woman could or would fuck things up this badly.

Anonymous said...

Isn't the birth canal proof-positive god's a male? No self-respecting female would design it like that.