CURRENT MOON

Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Grow The Fuck Up.


This kind of bullshit, via Witchvox, is still all too common when it comes to Wiccans. I have to ask myself if The Auburn Citizen, Serving NY's Finger Lakes Region would print a letter that schreeched that Jews mix the blood of xian babies in their motzah balls or that Catholics swear allegiance to the Pope over and above that of their own country. If not, why are unhinged letters like this still published?

I'm reminded of the story that Son and D-i-L told me a while back. Grandson was born a few weeks early and, as a result, D-i-L's mother (the nicest, sweetest, kindest Southern Baptist you've ever met, I'm not kidding) was up in DC when I had my 50th birthday. I'd planned a magnificent tea party at the local Ritz and invited all my witchy friends, Son, and D-i-L. I told D-iL that I'd love to have her mother join us and Son and D-i-L sat her mom and dad down to explain, after all these years, that I was, well, a witch. D-i-L's mom and dad handled it amazingly well, D-i-L's mom came to the tea and had, as far as I can tell, a wonderful time. But at one point in "the discussion" D-i-L's dad said, "Well, they don't worship the devil, or anything, right? They just worship nature or whatever, right?"

The fact that D-i-L's dad, who is just a genuine, all-round nice guy, even had to ask this question is an indictment of publishing policies such as those of The Auburn Citizen.

Come on people. It's the 21st Century. Grow the fuck up.

4 comments:

NYMary said...

Allow me to apologize for all upstate New Yorkers, my friend. I know plenty of Wiccans up here. One of the teen's best friends is the daughter of a Wiccan.

Anne Johnson said...

I emailed the kind lady, praised her right to free speech, and in small words that are easy to understand told her how to unlock the door that is keeping her mind closed.

Anonymous said...

I will pray for the woman to climb out of the pit and get on a spiritual path. Anything can be better than sitting in a cistern of ignorance, Fear and hate that she believes is the true path.

Anonymous said...

They actually printed my letter:

http://www.auburnpub.com/articles/2006/11/22/news/opinion/jeremy_boyer/jb01.txt